İnternet Sitesi

www.zeynepkocasinan.com

22 Ekim 2007 Pazartesi

Would You Choose to Commit?

Would you choose to commit? To what are you asking? Well, I do not really know. I received an e-mail from a friend last night. There was a piece as an attachment. It was called “The Power of Commitment” and was written by Wallace D. Wattles. I had heard of him. He is an American writer who lived between 1860-1911 and had written books such as “The Science of Being Great” and “Health Through New Thought and Fasting.” He is known as a pioneer in writing about success. This week I would like to share with you what my friend had sent me:

The Power of Commitment:
“Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness.
Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans:
That the moment one definitely commits oneself, then providence moves too. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favour all manner of unforeseen incidents, meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamt would have come his way.
Have perfect faith in yourself and in your ability to cope with any combination of circumstances that may arise.
Do not be disturbed if you are alone; if you need friends they will come to you at the right time. Do not be disturbed if you feel that you are ignorant; the information that you need will be furnished you when it is time for you to have it.
That which is in you impelling you forward is in the things and people you need, impelling them toward you. If there is a particular man you need to know, he will be introduced to you; if there is a particular book you need to read it will be placed in your hands at the right time.
All the knowledge you need will come to you from both external and internal sources. Your information and your talents will always be equal to the requirements of the occasion.
The very power is in you!”

This mail has reminded me of the book “The Alchemist” by Paulo Coelho. There too we are told that acting with conviction creates miracles in our lives. Some books have a special taste. The Alchemist is one of them. “My Sweet-Orange Tree “by Jose Moura de Vasconcelos is another timeless book. I had read it when I was eleven. I believe it was the first book that touched my heart very deeply. I might even claim that that book made me want to read. Good books leave such a taste that we keep on reading to find the same taste in another writer’s words and world.

I cannot seem to stop myself when I start to talk about books, but let’s get back to where we started. We were talking about committing and taking action in that direction. When you act, if the results do not please you at the beginning, do not scold yourself prematurely. Kabbalists Yehuda Berg says: “I’m such an idiot! How many times have you told that to yourself? The Zohar (the main book of Kabbalah) says when we speak this way to ourselves, we draw this type of energy. Meaning, we are not idiots, but we become so by saying so. The Zohar explains that on an energetic level, negative energy can only come into your life if you invite it. Negative self-talk is just such an invitation. Be nice to yourself today. When you want to beat, try patting instead.” Sounds like the book The Secret right? Are you not amazed how messages from teachers from all walks-of-life are almost the same? J I just love it.

***

I was reading works by various Turkish poets such as Özdemir Asaf, Oktay Rifat (Horozcu), Cahit Sıtkı Tarancı and Orhan Veli (Kanık) this week, I felt that I needed to see through their eyes once again. They were to ones who were committed to live life with a vulnerable heart and share themselves with courage. They chose to be committed to poetry.

In high school, I spent a lot of late nights and early mornings writing poems. I loved math, but I also loved poetry. I was to realize afterwards that the two do indeed have something in common though it is tough to describe. Of course writing poems and choosing to live as a poet are so radically different. Being a poet is a tough call. It requires a total trust in life and letting life in a way pass through you. Being a poet means being exposed emotionally. Needless to say, I also have not heard of a rich poet. Poetry is an acceptance of what is and what may come. Poetry requires us to feel the wounds and the joy and the pain and the excitement without filtering anything, and reflecting those feelings back through words.

This week I would like to share with you some of the poems of one of the greatest Turkish poets of the 20th century, the deceased Orhan Veli Kanık. Although Orhan Veli lived to be only 36 years old, he created a whole new movement in Turkish poetry, which also affected Turkish literature greatly as well. He was a pioneer with a group of his friends. I might have read his poems hundreds of times. They still touch my soul every time. When I was a kid 36 did not use to seem like such an early age; now-a-days I cannot help but think that I am now older than the age Orhan Veli lived to be. Reminds me to postpone less and to do and enjoy life more. May he rest in peace.


Orhan Veli Kanık (1914, Istanbul - November 14, 1950, Istanbul)

I buy old clothes.
I buy old clothes and cut them into stars.
Music is the food of love.
I love music.
I write poetry.
I write poetry and buy old clothes.
I sell old clothes and buy music;
If I could also be a fish in a bottle of booze...


ALL OF A SUDDEN

Everything happened all of a sudden.
All of a sudden daylight beat down on the earth;
There was the sky all of a sudden;
All of a sudden steam began to rise from the soil.
There were tendrils all of a sudden, buds all of a sudden.
And there were fruits all of a sudden.
All of a sudden,
All of a sudden,
Girls all of a sudden, boys all of a sudden.
Roads, moors, cats, people...
And there was love all of a sudden,
Happiness all of a sudden.


I AM LISTENING TO ISTANBUL

I am listening to Istanbul, intent, my eyes closed;
At first there blows a gentle breeze
And the leaves on the trees
Softly flutter or sway;
Out there, far away,
The bells of water carriers incessantly ring;
I am listening to Istanbul, intent, my eyes closed.

I am listening to Istanbul, intent, my eyes closed;
Then suddenly birds fly by,
Flocks of birds, high up, in a hue and cry
While nets are drawn in the fishing grounds
And a woman's feet begin to dabble in the water.
I am listening to Istanbul, intent, my eyes closed.

I am listening to Istanbul, intent, my eyes closed.
The Grand Bazaar is serene and cool,
A hubbub at the hub of the market,
Mosque yards are brimful of pigeons,
At the docks while hammers bang and clang
Spring winds bear the smell of sweat;
I am listening to Istanbul, intent, my eyes closed.

I am listening to Istanbul, intent, my eyes closed;
Still giddy since bygone bacchanals,
A seaside mansion with dingy boathouses is fast asleep,
Amid the din and drone of southern winds, reposed,
I am listening to Istanbul, intent, my eyes closed.

I am listening to Istanbul, intent, my eyes closed.
Now a dainty girl walks by on the sidewalk:
Cusswords, tunes and songs, malapert remarks;
Something falls on the ground out of her hand,
It's a rose I guess.
I am listening to Istanbul, intent, my eyes closed.

I am listening to Istanbul, intent, my eyes closed;
A bird flutters round your skirt;
I know your brow is moist with sweat
And your lips are wet.
A silver moon rises beyond the pine trees:
I can sense it all in your heart's throbbing.
I am listening to Istanbul, intent, my eyes closed.

FREE

We live free
Air is free, clouds are free
Valleys and hills are free
Rain and mud are free
The outside of cars
The entrances of cinemas
And the shop windows are free
Bread and cheese cost money
But stale water is free
Freedom can cost your head
But prison is free
We live free

***
Wish you love, joy and happiness. Take care,
Z.

______________________________________________________________
Affirmation of the Week:
“Everyone in my life has something to teach me. We have a purpose in being together.” By Louise L. Hay

Quote of the Week:
“The best piece of advice ever given was by the art director of Harper’s Bazaar, Alexey Brodovitch, to the young Richard Avedon, destined to become one of the world’s great photographers. The advice was simple: ‘Astonish Me!’ Bear these words in mind, and whatever you do will be creative.”
Paul Arden