What is Reiki? Reiki, put simply, is an energy balancing and support technique where one person gives energy to another person by mainly laying of hands on the person’s body.
We hear more about Reiki on TV or in the papers a lot more than ten or even five years ago. Now there are many books available in many languages and there is a lot of information on the internet about Reiki and related topics. Yet, still there is awe around this complementary energy therapy. Therefore, I find it useful to write about Reiki at various times.
I will cover general information about Reiki; and, this time I wanted also to include some information and tips for those who have been attuned to Reiki to help them in their own treatments.
What are the uses of Reiki?
Although this is a broad subject, it is also one of the most commonly asked questions about Reiki.
This energy is very effective in diminishing pains. For headaches, for pains of our joints, for pain due to surgery, for all kinds of pain in general.
We need to be aware that pain is not an illness. Pain is a sign that some part of our body is not functioning properly. Reiki through bringing our body to a balance can help the body free itself from the problem which caused the pain. Reiki aims to heal the cause that brings about the pain. As you are well aware, pain is not the illness itself; it is just a symptom. That is an important point to remember. When we take pain killers, we are just telling our body to “shut-up”; yet, the reason why our body was trying to get our attention is still there.
Reiki, through increasing our energy level and through bringing our energy field to a balance, allows our body to operate and its best. Our body is then able to heal itself. Except from surgical procedures, even in the use of conventional medicine, isn’t it our body that heals itself? The medicine is an aide, not the healer. In reality we always are our own healer.
Similarly, Reiki helps bring the body to a balance, so that the body is able to heal faster.
I personally had a lot of problems with my ankles in the past. Injuries happened over and over again for years on both of my ankles. The doctors and nurses at the emergency room of the American Hospital in Istanbul used to know me well. I would have a sprain and would lie in bed for three days without putting any pressure on the leg. Afterwards would need to wear hard bandages similar to a cast and walk on crutches even, and would need to walk in bandages for about 4 to 6 weeks.
This would happen over and over again. After I started learning and using Reiki, and started healing myself, I started to have less and less of these occurrences. I still did hurt my ankles a few times. Yet, to my surprise, either I would be up and running after a day in bed treating myself with Reiki. Or if the sprain was not major, I would sit down where ever the injury occurred, and I would be up in about 20-30 minutes and go on as if nothing has happened. Those of you who have hurt an ankle know that almost immediately after an injury the ankle swells, in order for the cells to accumulate water to deal with the crisis on the cellular level. Since I started using Reiki, I have observed that such swellings did not occur anymore. And the bruises that appear after such an accident seemed to be a thing of the past.
How can it be possible? Well, when there is enough energy to bring the body up to it optimum functional level, healing seems to take place amazingly fast. I have experienced many incredible healings both on my own body and on others.
Of course, each person and each body is different. And it is very important to consult with your doctor first to check whether Reiki can be of any help in your current situation. Nevertheless, my personal experience with this energy over the years has convinced me so far that in most cases it can be of help.
Here are some of the other common uses of Reiki energy:
Reiki helps speed up the healing time of wounds, cuts, bruises.
Reiki brings the morale up, and is used as an aid to psychotherapy.
Reiki is a very gentle energy that can be used on babies for sleep disorders or gas problems. Since it is a gentle energy, Reiki is safe to be used on and helpful for expecting mothers, especially in dealing with back pains due to pregnancy.
Reiki affects all of the levels of our aura and all energy layers; therefore it heals our physical, mental, emotional problems. Many people who receive Reiki treatments and many of the Reiki students, over time discover that gradually many of their fears, phobias, and worries diminish and disappear. One of my students who had claustrophobia and could not get in elevators and always took the stairs, one day realized that he was in a elevator – after he got in and after the elevator was in motion. Through Reiki we are healed gently.
For Those with Reiki-I Initiations:
Tips for Giving Reiki: For Level 1:
· Before you give Reiki to another person make sure that you wash your hands. After you are finished, please wash your hands again. This is not for general cleanliness. Negative energy accumulates mostly on our hands. And water is an excellent energy cleanser. In this manner, we make sure that we start a treatment clean, and that we separate our auras at the end.
· Please drink a glass of water before and after giving Reiki; and make sure the receiver of Reiki energy also drink water both before and after a Reiki treatment. First of all, unless there is sufficient water in our bodily system, our energy field cannot function at its best. And for our organs to function properly, we need water. Water is essential in maintaining health in all aspects. In an energy treatment water is also needed as a means to support the detoxification process that Reiki initiates.
· Although no mental effort is required in giving Reiki in the first level, I would like to recommend some of the methods that I use that may be of help:
- Always make sure that you are sitting or standing in a comfortable position while giving Reiki. If you are not comfortable, you will not be able to carry out the treatment effectively.
- Always keep a blanket near when you are giving someone Reiki summer or winter. Very often, the person may feel cold temporarily as a part of the healing process. This is very normal and seen very often especially when the patient is receiving a full body treatment lying down. If the person is feeling very cold, give Reiki over the blanket. It is commonly done and is still very effective.
- The receiver of Reiki may cry, laugh, cough or even vomit, as a part of the healing process, all of which are temporary healing reactions of the body. If the condition persists, a medical doctor should be consulted immediately. Always keep paper tissues and/or paper towels at hand just in case.
- It is sometimes recommended to burn incense to clear out the energy of the room and to provide a pleasant smell. However, please be aware that certain people may be allergic to certain smells. Also, I have often seen people who are allergic to smoke in general.
- Please always make sure to ask the receiver of Reiki if they have any allergies, phobias or medical conditions that you need to be careful about. Keep in mind that what we like or find fit does not always please or be appropriate for another.
For Those with Reiki-II and Reiki-III Initiations:
Tips for Giving Reiki: For Level 2 or Level 3:
This section is mainly for those who have been attuned to Reiki Level 2 or 3.
In these levels, you are able to send Reiki to people are not near by. Both Reiki 2 and 3 level initiations are done in 2 days similarly to Reiki Level 1 initiations. The symbols of Reiki are taught to the student during the initiations.
Usually 3 to 6 months are needed after the Reiki Level 1 initiation to move on the Second Level. The time is usually needed for the person to adapt to this new energy, to be able to move onto another level. Usually a student waits about 6 months to a year for the initiation of the third level. The timing depends on how much you have used Reiki, and how comfortable you feel with the current initiation.
· The main difference between the first and second & third levels is that, in the first level of Reiki energy is given only through the hands, by either placing on the body or a few cm over the body. In the second & third levels, the energy balancing and transfer may be done by laying of the hands as well as mental transfer of the energy through the use of Reiki symbols.
· With the second & third levels of Reiki, it is possible to send energy to events, places, emotions, thoughts and people who are distant.
After you are initiated to the second level and upper levels of Reiki, I recommend the following exercises:
Clean your house or rooms through the use of the symbols, and observe the place the before and after the clearing. Observe the comments or reactions of your family or visitors. If you have children, you may clear the room and observe their sleeping patterns. Is there an improvement?
Experiment with sending energy to yourself at a time in the future, note the time, and observe the effects at this “future” time. Try to feel the energy, or try to be aware if there a visible “easiness” that comes with Reiki.
When you are aware how the energy flow feels, it will be easier to understand how it works and easier to explain it to others.
On one hand learning the Reiki symbols at these upper levels brings many advantages; yet, on the other hand, the fact that you are at a higher level does not necessarily mean that your energy will be stronger or more effective than a Reiki Level-I student. A Reiki-I who uses Reiki - meaning gives Reiki to himself or herself and others often- may achieve better results than a Reiki Level-II student who does not use Reiki much.
Always keep in mind that we you give Reiki; you are also receiving energy since the energy is moving through your energy field before reaching the patient. Definitely, giving is receiving in Reiki.
Although your Reiki channels never close once you have been initiated, you receive and give stronger levels of energy as you use Reiki more. So, those who have it, please use it.
The intention is also very important in giving Reiki. When we approach Reiki with the pure intention of wishing for the highest good of a person or an event, usually the results are extraordinary.
I wish you love, health and happiness, and many miraculous days in 2007.
Affirmation of the Week:
“I am deeply fulfilled by all that I do. I am forgiving and I know that Life loves me.” By Louise L. Hay
Quote of the Week:
“It is with the heart that one sees rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.”
Antoine De Saint-Exupéry
The Little Prince
“The Hands of Light” By Barbara Ann Brennan
The Turkish translation of this book is sold under the name “Işığın Elleri”.
In case of a health problem, please consult with your medical doctor first. As for all complementary treatment techniques, please contact you medical doctor first to make sure that the technique is suitable for your condition. All of the methods described and the information provided here are not intended to be taken as a replacement for medical advice; and should only be used in conjunction with and under medical supervision.