İnternet Sitesi

www.zeynepkocasinan.com

22 Ekim 2007 Pazartesi

Modern Art and Listening to Our Soul


As some of you know I opened an art exhibition at the Fethiye Cultural Centre on the 1st of March. Since 2007 was declared as the “Year of Mevlana” by UNESCO, that was the source of the theme for my exhibition. I called it “Walking the Path.”

Occasionally, well actually most of the time we talk about the path in this column. We have been given a chance to walk a path in this life time. And we try to find the best route. We read, we question, we get together and discuss to share and to learn. We try to connect to, to reconnect to our soul and to the soul of the universe.

Art is another method of connecting to our soul and seeing what is has to say, to us and to others.

For the last 3-4 years, I paint in abstract style. Many people who came to this exhibition and also many others who see my work, ask: “Why abstract? What did you want to draw? What did you want to say? Why? Why? Why?”

Why abstract?
Well, first of all, as my teacher Moshe would always say “Why not?”
And second I would like to create a channel for our imaginations. When we were kids it was easy to dream, to daydream, to image, to wish and to wonder. Then we grow. Life becomes so clear in many ways. Dreams become a thing of the past. In abstract I can say whatever I want to say without limiting what you may hear from your own soul when you see it.

I guess that is the core of it to the extent that I can say. Most of my friends know that I never talk about what I want to say in my paintings. I do not feel the need. And also because as Picasso said, they are our diaries. I paint not for you, but I paint for my self. When I am filled with “things” that I cannot describe with words, I go to the canvas. The language of colours allow me to say things that I am not able with words.

That is why it is so essential for everyone to paint. It does not matter if you think you have the talent and the education or not. There is a part of your soul that can only communicate with you through shapes and colours, whether you know it or not.

I say paint, with coloured pens or pencils, with water colours, with pastels, with acrylic paint or with oils. Big or small. On canvas or on paper. Take a shot.
And give your soul a chance to say what it has been keeping inside for so long…

Wish you love and light in all areas of your life.
Z.
_____________________________________________________________________
Affirmation of the Week:
“Love is all there is.”
By Louise L. Hay
_______________________________________________________________________
Quote of the Week:“If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.”
MARK 9:23
________________________________________________________________________
Suggested Reading:
“Many Lives, Many Masters” By Brian L.Weiss, M.D.
The Turkish translation of this book is sold under the name “Birçok Yaşam Birçok Üstat”.